Can I edit my ebook with Scrivener?
Scrivener itself is not an ebook editor, even though it can produce ebooks via its compilation process. For detailed instructions on this process, refer to our video tutorials or the user manual, available from Scrivener's Help menu. If you wish to clean up the presentation of an ebook or make revisions to it after you've compiled it outside of Scrivener, these tools can help:
- Calibre: General purpose ebook management and full-featured e-reader, also capable of performing conversions between many common ebook formats. Good for testing links, layout, and other specifics. Available for macOS, Linux and Windows.
- Sigil: An ePub editor which will let you fine-tune your compiled ebook or help track down problems within it. Available for macOS and Windows.
- Kindle Previewer: Amazon's free book previewer will aid in the production of Kindle compatible ebooks and provide a precise preview of what your ebook will look like on various Kindle models. Scrivener will integrate with Previewer if it is found installed and allow for the direct creation of Mobi ebooks. However, in most cases you will want to use ePub for publication through Amazon. Available for macOS and Windows.
- Pandoc: For writers who use Markdown, Pandoc has a flexible ePub generator for which Scrivener has built-in integration. Installing Pandoc will open up these options in its compiler.
- Vellum: Specialises in creating nicely designed ebooks from a number of pre-built templates. Scrivener has a special DOCX compile format for creating the best input for this tool. Available for macOS only.